“Where everyone is responsible, no one is really responsible.” – Albert Bandura
Similarly, where everyone is accountable, no one is really accountable.
It’s getting to end of year, you’ve probably had discussions on strategy for the new year, and now it’s time to make sure that things are in order to start off the new year.
One of those things is Job Descriptions.
Good Job Descriptions are used for a number of important tasks in the organisation:
- It is a useful, plain-language tool that explains the purpose, responsibilities, outcomes and other information important to a position or role
- It details the role that performs a specific type of work, the work to be completed, and the frequency and the purpose of the work as it relates to the organization’s mission and goals
- It is used for determining salary levels, conducting performance reviews, clarifying missions, establishing titles and pay grades, and creating reasonable accommodation controls
- It is an essential tool for recruiting
- They are used for career planning, offering training exercises and establishing legal requirements for compliance purposes
- They give an employee a clear and concise resource to be used as a guide for job performance
- And, supervisors can use a job description as a measuring tool to ensure that the employee is meeting job expectations
- Finally, together with an employment contract, they form an important part of a set of documents for disciplinary and legal purposes.
So, the question is – how up-to-date are your Job Descriptions? Do your Job Descriptions meet these criteria? If not, now is the time to address this.
A challenge that most organisations are facing right now is the dynamic world of work that we face today. Jobs are change, work is changing, some jobs are becoming redundant and many new jobs are appearing on the horizon. Also, with workplace technology being introduced at an increasing pace, the nature of work and how people achieve work is changing.
This is one of the biggest nightmares for management and HR alike.
Good, up-to-date Job Descriptions are important for both management and legal purposes.
For the past 16 years we have been helping organisations keep their Job Descriptions up-to-date. Our specialism is IT/Digital and we have developed a comprehensive database of up-to-date information on a vast number of IT/Digital jobs and roles.
If you would like us to assist you with evaluating your current Job Descriptions and ensuring that they are up-to-date, please complete the form below and we will be in touch directly.
We look forward to working with you.
Agile OD Facilitator/Coach/Consultant
We provide modern Organisation Development advice, solutions, services, and products, at the intersection of business, technology, and people, to help our clients adopt and adapt to the New Ways of Working – Agile, Digital, Work-from-Anywhere – and become Future Fit. We’d love to work with you too.