Information Technology Job Descriptions
Job descriptions are an important part of a well-organized company and are an integral part of the organization design and performance management and evaluation systems. They offer the basis for clear employer/employee communication and sound HR practices.
Job descriptions improve an organisation’s ability to manage people and roles in the following ways:
- they clarify employer expectations for employees in specific roles
- they provide the basis for measuring job performance
- they provide clear descriptions of roles for job incumbents and candidates
- they provide a structure and discipline for the organization to understand and structure all jobs and ensure that deliverables, responsibilities and activities necessary for the achievement of organizational strategy, are covered within the organizational structure
- they provide continuity of role parameters irrespective of individual manager interpretation
- they enable remuneration and job grading systems to be structured fairly and logically
- they prevent arbitrary interpretation of role content and limit by employee, employer and manager
- they are an essential reference tool in issues of employee/employer dispute
- they are an essential reference tool for discipline issues
- they provide important reference points for training and development
- they provide neutral and objective (as opposed to subjective or arbitrary) reference points for appraisals, performance reviews and counselling
- they form the basis for competency profiles for each role and competency management for the organization
- they enable the organization to structure and manage roles in a uniform way, increasing the efficiency and effectiveness of talent management processes
- they enable a factual view (as opposed to instinctual or personal) to be taken by employees and managers in career progression and succession planning.
In IT, the workplace is becoming more and more role and competency based, and less and less “job” based. There are a number of well-understood “roles” that need to be in place in a well-structured IT department. But, depending on the size of the organisation, the level of outsourcing, and the level of IT facilitated business processes, how these “roles” are structured into “jobs” can differ widely.
So, to be able to assist any organization with an IT department, no matter the size, TalentAlign has created a database of information relevant to over 200 IT jobs. Select from our generic Role Descriptions and customise them for your specific requirements. Then download the IT role descriptions and they are ready for you to roll out your structure.
The role descriptions are “colour-coded”. Each “job family” has its own unique colour. For example, First-level Support is “grass green”- all the information associated with this family and the Role Description, will be coded with this colour. The colour code is continued throughout all documents that relate to the Role Profiles.
To view a list of the roles available, click on the “see details” button below.
More Information ….
Click here to learn more about how TalentAlign ITJobCompiler works and benefits to YOU.
Click here for more information on what you get for each subscription level.
Click here to compare what you get on TalentAlign with other suppliers.
Click here to learn more about Competencies and why they are important to modern management.
Click here to subscribe to TalentAlign Online and create Best in Class IT Job and Competency Profiles.