“Performance” isn’t enough these days. In the New Way of Working the focus is on High Performing Teams and how we create, maintain and sustain them.
The Google Research
What makes a team effective? This is the question that a team at Google spent two years researching. And the results were quite unexpected.
Expecting to find things like high performers, skills combinations, and individual traits as key characteristics of their “dream team”, they were surprised that none of these actually matter. Who is on a team matters less than how the team members interact, structure their work, and view their contributions.
The research found that there are five key dynamics that set successful teams apart from other teams at Google. These are:
- Psychological safety – Can we take risks on this team without feeling insecure or embarrassed?
- Dependability – Can we count on each other to do high quality work on time?
- Structure and clarity – Are goals, roles, and execution plans on our team clear?
- Meaning of work – Are we working on something that is personally important for each of us?
- Impact of work – Do we fundamentally believe that the work we’re doing matters?
Three of these, psychological safety, and meaning and impact of work, are to do with Leadership. Dependability and structure and clarity are to do with the individuals. And these are the focus for our Beyond Performance Management.
Our Performance Management Formula
We define Performance Management as the “ongoing process of communication between a supervisor/manager and an employee, that occurs throughout the year, in support of accomplishing the strategic objectives of the organization”.
Our 3-Tier Performance Management methodology together with the DIRC model and OKRs, enables your managers to ensure that:
- Work is regularly planned and objectives set
- Employees have the competencies to achieve the work planned
- Performance discussions lead to skills development and improved performance
- Performance issues can be addressed through disciplinary procedures
- The results contribute to effective Talent Management processes
- Provide the opportunity for regular two-way communication that creates an understanding of expectations – employee, team and organisation.
Our Performance Management methodology assists in creating an effective Performance Management methodology that:
- Aligns with your organisation and IT strategic direction and culture – especially in the New World of Work
- Is practical and fits comfortably with most computerised Performance Management systems
- Enables conversations that involve positive and constructive feedback
- Identifies development opportunities and accomplishments
- Fits in with your workforce plan
- Provides legal back-up should disciplinary action be necessary
Establishing Performance Management takes time and resources. Instead of using your key staff and taking them away from their core functions, let TalentAlign partner with them to create and implement an effective methodology that compliments your business and talent management processes and helps you to create, maintain and sustain High Performing Teams.
To find out how you can link your employee performance to team, department and organisational performance, fill out the form below and we will get back to you asap.